Admission to the PhD Program in Computer Science
Information on the admission exam (including number of positions and scholarships) is published every year in the Italian government official gazette(La Gazzetta Ufficiale). The call for admission
is published in Italian and in English on the Web site of the
University of Genova and can be found following this link [»]
A Selection Committee (COMMISSIONE) evaluates background knowledge and research potential of the candidates, based on the information submitted with their application (TITOLI). At the end the Committee produces a ranked list (GRADUATORIA) of candidates sufficiently qualified and trained to have a reasonable expectation of successfully completing the graduate program.
The ranking is primarily based on a combination of the following criteria:
- Quality of previous undergraduate/graduate work
- Strength of reference letters
- Statements in the applicant's research proposal
- Other evidence of graduate potential
- Availability of an advisor in the research area selected by the applicant (see the list of the research lines for the PhD in Computer Science)
- Availability of positions in the PhD program
The admission process consists of the steps described below, the exact deadlines for each step are published in the call for admission (BANDO) that can be found following this link [»].
- For non-local candidates (i.e., not known to faculty members at DIBRIS) it is important to secure reference letters from well-established researchers that can provide a reliable assessment of the candidate's abilities
- For candidates with a university degree different from Computer Science or Computer Engineering it is important to provide the list of university courses attended with individual grades
- Candidates submit their application form, using the template attached to the call for admission (BANDO), and following the INSTRUCTIONS for APPLICATION
- Any candidate wishing to visit the department should contact the PhD program Director for making preliminary arrangements.
- The Selection Committee evaluates valid applications and produces a ranked list (GRADUATORIA TITOLI). Only candidates above a given threshold are considered suitable for admission to the PhD program.
- Finally the University publishes a final ranked list (GRADUATORIA FINALE) of candidates suitable for admission to the PhD program.
- Candidates, in the order specified by final ranked list (GRADUATORIA FINALE), decide whether to enroll in the PhD program and choose among the available studentships, until all positions have been filled.