Dipartimento di Informatica e Scienze dell'Informazione
THE MT (MULTI-TESSELATION) PACKAGE
A dimension-independent package for the representation and manipulation of
spatial objects as simplicial complexes at multiple resolutions.
Table of Contents
What is the MT Package?
The MT Package contains a C++ library that allows you to design
interactive applications which exploit the full power of multiresolution
on geometric objects represented by meshes in any dimension.
The MT Package allows you to do two basic actions:
The MT Package is fully parametric on:
- Take a simplicial (e.g., triangular, tetrahedral) mesh describing
an object and build a multiresolution representation of the same
- Query this multiresolution representation on-line to obtain meshes
representing the object at the level of detail you like.
Thus you can manage multiresolution the way you like, depending
on the needs of your application. You just have to specify the attributes
you wish to include and the condition to test the resolution.
- The dimension of the mesh (e.g., a surface made of triangles,
a volume made of tetrahedra, and any higher dimensional complex
made of simplexes);
- The dimension on the embedding space (i.e., the number of
coordinates on the vertices of the mesh);
- Any attribute that you wish to store at the vertices and at the
cells of your mesh;
- Any criterion that you wish to adopt in order to extract meshes at
variable resolution from the multiresolution model.
The MT Package allows you to use your own simplification code to build
the multiresolution model! You just have to include commands
provided by a class in the library.
The MT Package also contains some off-the-shelf programs,
which can be either used directly, or adopted as templates to write
your own applications:
See a more detailed quick
to discover the possibilities you have in using the MT Package.
- Programs to build multiresolution terrain models from either
digital elevation grids or triangulated irregular networks;
- A program to build multiresolution surface models from generic
- A program to fly over a terrain, which gives you the possibility to
adjust view and resolution parameters;
- A program to analyze an object by interactively using a magic lens
that keeps high resolution inside a volume, while the rest of the
object is shown at low resolution.